GROW LOCAL. SHOP LOCAL. EAT LOCAL.
Empire Market COVID-19 UPDATE
The Empire Market is closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak as it continues to develop, and we want to provide you an update of the steps we are taking in response to the virus.
At this time, we will keep our market open regular business hours (Saturdays 10a-3p) unless otherwise directed by officials, and we encourage everyone to stay healthy, stock up on fresh food and pantry items, and support your local farmers.
Like grocery stores and other food retail outlets, farmers markets serve an essential function as a vital source of fresh fruits and vegetables and food staples for our community.
Farmers Markets Are Essential: Our market is an important and necessary food outlet for community members from all economic backgrounds across the Joplin metro area to purchase healthy, fresh, nutritious food.
Farmers Markets Allow You to Shop Direct: Shopping at our market means that you can purchase fresh, nutritious food from as close to the source as possible.
Farmers Markets Support Our Region: Farmers markets are essential to the livelihood of farmers and food producers. Shopping at farmers markets means you are supporting your local economy, which is especially critical in this time of uncertainty.
There is no evidence that food is a source or transmission route for the virus. To keep our farmers, producers, and shoppers safe, we will be doing the following:
- The Empire Market is a vibrant community space where many shoppers gather to socialize in addition to purchasing groceries. However, for the time being we strongly encourage shoppers to prioritize your essential food purchasing and minimize extended time at the market as much as possible.
During this time, we will be cancelling all extraneous programming, events, and live music.
- The COVID-19 virus is thought to be spread through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes and can be killed using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe. If you are an at-risk population (particularly older adults or immunocompromised individuals) we encourage you to prioritize your own health and minimize your exposure to large groups of people. Consider asking a friend or family member to pick up your market items for you.
- Recommended measures of defense against the virus are to wash your hands frequently (with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds), cover your mouth with a tissue or the crease of your elbow (not your hands) if you cough or sneeze, and avoid touching your face.
- We encourage vendors and customers to take note if you are experiencing symptoms such as fever or dry cough, and to stay home to take care of yourself and protect others if you are sick.
- Market staff and volunteers will wipe down commonly used services, such as the market information booth, EBT redemption devices (tablets, card swipers), and have hand sanitizer available. We will be sanitizing the market tokens prior to each market day.
- Farmers and producers have been told to suspend sampling of products at the market and to restrict access to condiments, silverware, cup lids, etc. unless requested.
- In the event of any changes in the schedule of our market, we will be sure to update you with as much advance notice as possible. Please keep in mind that the situation is evolving rapidly, and we will continue to provide updates as we have them.
Our primary concern is the health and safety of our farmers and producers, market shoppers, and the community. We are taking guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local Departments of Health as we shape our plan for market operations. The CDC has issued interim guidance for large public gatherings with useful steps.
We appreciate your ongoing support of the Empire Market and Downtown Joplin Alliance!
EMPIRE MARKET ON INSTAGRAM
WHAT IS THE EMPIRE MARKET?
The Empire Market is a growing food-centric public market. You might have been to something similar in other cities including Kansas City’s River Market, Soulard Market in St. Louis or Pike Place Market in Seattle. Opening in late April of 2018, the Empire Market has 20-25 vendors each week, all selling items they have made or grown themselves. You won’t find any veggies with stickers here!
The Empire Market is an economic and community centerpiece that strengthens and engages the entire city. A vibrant four-season market where you can find the best of what this area has to offer; produce, meats, cheeses, wine, beer, crafters, artisans and any number of other vendors, set up in a collection of permanent and rotating stalls.
In December of 2016, the Empire District Electric Company donated to the Downtown Joplin Alliance over 33,000 square feet of buildings on 3.34 acres in the center of Joplin. The primary structure, built in 1907, is located at 4th and Railroad. Downtown Joplin Alliance has re-purposed this historic building and its attached 11,000 sqft. garage as the new four-season Empire Market.
WHERE IS IT AND WHEN CAN I VISIT?
The Empire Market is located at 931 E. 4th Street in Joplin, Missouri. It is open from 10 AM to 3 PM every Saturday. We have convenient parking located in the lot directly East of the Market.
WHAT CAN YOU FIND AT THE MARKET?
We welcome vendors from up to 150 miles away, bringing you the best of local products. Buying from the Empire Market helps strengthen the local economy by supporting locally grown food. Local food growers and producers prosper by having a marketplace for their products, and residents have access to high quality, nutritious, locally grown foods.
FARMERS & GROWERS
FARMERS & GROWERS
Fresh produce of all types.
Handcrafted local wares.
High-quality selection of good things to eat, usually sourced right from the market!
MEATS & PASTURE RAISED
MEATS & PASTURE RAISED
Meats, beef, pork, chicken, and eggs.
Locally baked bread, pies, rolls, and sweets are sure to complete your market experience.
Rotating selection of other locally sourced items like spices, beer, wine, and other products for a one-of-a-kind shopping experience!
Downtown Joplin Alliance offers many sponsorship opportunites. For each event, your logo and/or business name is on all printed materials, recognition in news releases, newsletters, emails, and social media. Sponsors of larger events may also receive recognition on signage, t-shirts, TV, newspaper, and radio ads.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
We have many opportunities available for those of you who want to lend a hand and volunteer your time. Click the button below to find out how you can get involved in contributing to the improvement of our community!